> I think the keyword there is "normally" - if we can't say _certainly_,
> then this is probably an unsafe change to make.
>
> I can imagine any number of hacky upgrade processes that would be
> dangerous with this change.

I agree. We just don't know what users are doing, this is risky.

IMO the same applies to a performance degradation, i.e. something that can
bring a cluster down upon an unprepared user. Despite our best efforts with
NEWS.txt we should still look after such users. IMHO the imperfection of
LWTs on past branches we have to carry. I'm well aware this is easier said
than done, even for far simpler changes. Having the flag there to switch to
"correct LWT" is still a huge win for users.