H,

I the present code a vr is updates as follows:

        // 1) Shutdown all the elements and cleanup all the rules.
Don't allow to shutdown network in intermediate
        // states - Shutdown and Implementing

        // 2) Only after all the elements and rules are shutdown
properly, update the network VO
        // get updated network

       // 3) Implement the elements and rules again

        // 4) if network has been upgraded from a non persistent ntwk
offering to a persistent ntwk offering,
        // implement the network if its not already

This means that for a redundant router vm both sides are brought down
before upgrade of the db entries is done. This is not acceptable for
mission critical environments such as our clients at Schuberg Philis
have. I am to concoct a way around this and will have my sweet time at
it. I am also willing to share this time with anyone that has thoughts
and particularly concerns on the issue.

To get to this point I extracted as much as I could from the
updateNetwork method in NetworkServiceImpl. The results are in
hotfix/CLOUDSTACK-7776. I plan to merge this before working on the
actual fix but after I am convinced that I re-factored it enough and
as much as possible. Please have a look if you dare to/enjoy it.

--
Daan