Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

Sylvain Wallez wrote:

Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

[...mostly off topic...]

You forgot that since GBeans used in Geronimo, basing Cocoon on GBeans means easier integration with/into Geronimo, which is significant advantage.

Well, is it really?

So which point do you want to argue, that it won't be easier integration, or isn't an advantage?

Don't know. I just would like to know what advantages it can bring us, considering that not everybody will deploy Cocoon on Geronimo.

The fact that Eclipse is based on OSGi, does it mean Cocoon will be doggish slow if it is also based on OSGi, as Eclipse already is? It might be FUD as I've not seen OSGi, but I've seen Eclipse.

Actually, OSGi is a key point in the performance improvements in the upcoming Eclipse 3.1. It was introduced in 3.0 but many plugins were still written on the previous kernel API, and the more plugins move to the OSGi API, the more startup time increases

I could care less of startup time: I'm one of those who starts up IDE once in a month (after patching M$ windows ;-)).

Windoze running for one month? Wow, this is a magic patch :-)

and memory used decreases, by allowing on-demand loading of plugins.

"On-demand loading" means more sluggish UI, right? Once you click on something, you have to wait till it loads :-)

Good point :-) But it also means things you don't need will never be loaded.

Sylvain