Carsten Ziegeler skrev:
What about replacing ECM++ with Spring? I've a prototype on my harddisk
which sets up a Spring BeanFactory based on our current Avalon
configuration files (roles and xconf with includes and property
replacements). This makes all of our components real spring beans while
allowing a smooth migration path.
The benefit of this is that you can simply use Spring without any
bridging stuff or tricks. And your Spring beans can depend on the Avalon
components (and vice versa) without any problems (as there are only
Spring beans). And the container is then final no longer our business,
we just use the most used/known one.
The prototype supports all Avalon lifecycle interfaces right now - with
the exception of Poolable/Recyclable as Spring does not have a way to
release a bean. We could use our Proxy based approach for thread safe
poolables for compatibility while trying to bann all poolable components
anyway.

So what do people think?

It would be great to get rid of ECM++.

What kind of dependencies will Cocoon get on Spring?

As we are in the process of finally getting the real blocks usable it would be painful to need to integrate it with a new component system right now. Could you make your code available somewhere so that I have the possibility to evaluate the consequences of it, before you start to commit it?

/Daniel