Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
Ok, I just committed the initial prototyp. The spring based container is
setup in the Cocoon class (in initialize). I think I've covered most of
the Avalon stuff including pooled components (but have not tested this).
The remaining part would be to use the spring based container instead of
ECM++ which requires changes in the Cocoon class and in the tree
processor. Changing the Cocoon class should be fairly easy while the
tree processor is more work. Now, this work can't be done without
possibly breaking Cocoon until the work is finished. So how do we proceed?

Once we use the Spring based container we can simplify the whole setup
process and clean up things like the CoreUtil and the Cocoon class.
It depends on how long time you think that it will take. If you think that it take a week or so I suggest that you branch cocoon-core, and work on the branch until it works again and merge it back then. In the meantime the rest of us try to avoid doing larger changes in cocoon-core trunk.

If it takes like a month or so, it is better to try to do some splitting of cocoon-core first, so that you only need to branch the tree-processor and the top layer that contain the Cocoon object.

In any case it must be done in a branch. We are making good progress with the blocks work, and having a cocoon-core that doesn't would be a far to large disruption.

/Daniel