On 24 June 2012 20:41, Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/24/12 12:00 PM, sebb wrote:

>>> Yes, that's what that means, at least for the uploading to mvn repos
>>> bit, and unless we can find a creative way to circumvent nexus,
>>> there appears to be no way to generate the release artifacts
>>> packages locally, inspect them, and keep them on p.a.o for voting
>>> and release.  Unless we decide to separate the maven repo publishing
>>> step, which I may be inclined to do for [pool] 2.  The steps to get
>>> the real distro (source and binary tars and zips) to the mirrors
>>> should still work, modulo some pom hacking to work around plugin
>>> regressions.
>> Nexus does not prevent any of this; it is a staging repo.
>
> It does block what used to be a simple, controlled process
>
> 0) generate, test and sign artifacts locally
> 1) upload to p.a.o
> 2) vote
> 3) move to release locations

This is much what one does now, where:

1) use maven to deploy to staging repo

> Now you need to count on maven to "deploy" to the staging repo and
> then move things across the network somehow to /dist.
>
> Unless, as you point out below, you make the actual release
> artifacts first and then "publish" to maven central separately.

Not sure I follow that.

> Unfortunately, that ends up requiring two votes, because you can't
> just move stuff into the staging repo (unless there is some way to
> do that, which would be great).

No, it only requires one vote, which is on the artifacts in the staging repo.

>> Note that Maven does not know anything about Nexus; Maven deploys to
>> the staging area which happens to be managed by Nexus.
>>
>> The non-Maven archives can either be deployed with the Maven jars to
>> Nexus, and then the vote held on the combined set of archives,
>> or the non-Maven archives can be deployed to a separate holding area.
>>
>> If using a combined staging area, the non-Maven stuff needs to be
>> copied dist/ (and deleted from the staging area) before the Maven
>> stuff is released.
>> [I had hoped that Nexus could be tweaked to do this automatically but
>> this has not happened]
>>
>> Nexus does not fundamentally change the release process, its main
>> benefit is that it makes it harder to publish Maven artifacts
>> accidentally, as happened a lot of times before it was introduced.
>
> Only once in Commons, IIRC, due to an RM not following the "manual"
> process and running with scissors using the release plugin.

Just done a quick check of 3 projects at random:

http://central.maven.org/maven2/commons-jexl/commons-jexl/
http://central.maven.org/maven2/commons-lang/commons-lang/
http://central.maven.org/maven2/commons-net/commons-net/

Have a look at those directories; I'm pretty sure no-one really voted
on release version "20030307.151331".

Looks like snapshot versions were somehow released as full versions.

It seems unlikely that version 1.0-RC1 was ever intended for release either.

>> Nexus also takes care of maintaining the Maven metadata, and ensuring
>> that the files are created in the correct directory.
>
> Trival and easy to verify as part of the release prep and vote.

This is not a process I would describe as trivial.