Am 21.08.2012 00:11, schrieb Gilles Sadowski:
On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 07:58:52PM +0200, Oliver Heger wrote:
Am 20.08.2012 16:08, schrieb Gilles Sadowski:
On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 02:32:25PM +0200, Oliver Heger wrote:
Just a question about our current documentation about cutting releases:

[1] mentions that symbolic links should be created for the
distributions. I think this is outdated. Can anybody confirm this? I
will then update the instructions accordingly.

I don't know, but there were several wrong or incomplete statements in that
document when, as a "newbie release manager" for Commons Math 3.0, I tried
to follow it step by step.
I collected the steps of a working procedure here:
   http://wiki.apache.org/commons/GillesSadowski/ReleaseMiniHowto

Thanks for the link.

Publishing releases is already a surprisingly complex task. Having
multiple, partly outdated instructions makes it even harder :-(

If "UsingNexus" works for you, it is probably because you have additional
configuration set up which is not talked about in that document, randering
it useless for a newbie. People who know what to do don't need that document
and it is thus kept in an unusable state...

We should try to come up with one standard document.

That's why I wrote the above, which is supposed to contain everything to
perform a release, with links to information not detailed there but likely
missing fomr a newbie's config (e.g. GPG key).

So far, for the
release preparations the UsingNexus document worked well for me. I
am going to update it when I encounter problems.

I've encountered many problems, for some I got a solution from this list,
for others I figured a solution by trial and error.
Finally, I came up with a working recipe (the above document, which I asked
here for review). If you want to go down the same path again...

Not the same path. My goal is to have one consolidated document. It seems to me that from the general structure your document is similar to UsingNexus, sometimes you provide more details. So wouldn't it be possible to merge the documents?

BTW, I did some updates on UsingNexus for some points I had trouble with.

Oliver