On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 06:24:26AM -0800, Ted Dunning wrote:
> Actually, I would still recommend checks.  You may know what the code does
> now, but you can't trust either yourself or somebody else in the future.
>  Better to do the checks.

I don't agree because in this case, the situation is akin to a bug. [And we
don't introduce checks after each statement to ensure that the statement
did what it should.]

Those _private_ methods are there just to group a set of statements which
are valid under the documented conditions. We should start to assume that
the documentation could be wrong... [If it is, that's also a bug.]