private void proc(UnivariateFunction fn) {
+        Calc calc = calcs.pop();// pop a calculation to be done.
+        double a = calc.a;
+        double b = calc.b;
+
+        // back off slightly from the edges (function evaluations typically go
haywire)
+        // scale for the edge approximation is set by the resolution.
+        if (a == edgeA) {
+            a += (b - a) * EPS;
+        }
+        if (b == edgeB) {
+            b -= (b - a) * EPS;
+        }
+
+        double delta = b - a;
+        double m = (a + b) / 2d;
+        double ma = (a + m) / 2d;
+        double mb = (b + m) / 2d;
+        double va = fn.value(a);
+        double vb = fn.value(b);
+        double vm = fn.value(m);
+        double Q1 = delta / 6 * (va + 4 * vm + vb);
+        double Q2 = delta / 12 * (va + 4 * fn.value(ma) + 2 * vm + 4 *
fn.value(mb) + vb);
+        if (Math.abs(Q2 - Q1) <= EPS) {
+            total += Q2 + (Q2 - Q1) / 15;
+        } else {
+            calcs.add(new Calc(a, m));
+            calcs.add(new Calc(m, b));
+        }
+    }

1) You form a new object Calc(a,m) and Calc(m,b), the m point is the same, yet
you evaluate it again when you compute vb and va, respectively, one iteration
down. I think it also repeats for a bunch of other points middle points.

2) I am of the opinion you shouldn't include special behavior unless you have
problem. If you want you can capture if eval returned a NaN and then move the
evaluation point.

3) I am not claiming you shouldn't replace what I wrote with a stack. For my
personal use it didn't matter.

On Jul 1, 2013, at 6:43 PM, Ajo Fod <ajo....@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>                      double tol, IntegratorProperties property, double
>> maxEvals, int depth)
>>        {
>>                // Evaluate integrant twice in interior of subinterval
>> [a,b].
>>                double h = b - a;
>>                double c = (a + b)*0.5;
>>                double d = (a + c)*0.5;
>>                double e = (c + b)*0.5;
>>
>>                double[] fd = f.value(d);
>>          for (int nanLoop=0; nanLoop<fd.length; nanLoop++)
>>                  if (Double.isNaN(fd[nanLoop]))
>>                        throw new ArithmeticException("Function evaluation
>> returned NaN.");
>>

>>                double[] fe = f.value(e);
>>          for (int nanLoop=0; nanLoop<fe.length; nanLoop++)
>>                  if (Double.isNaN(fe[nanLoop]))
>>                        throw new ArithmeticException("Function evaluation
>> returned NaN.");
>>
>>                property.evalCount += 2;
>>
>>                double[] Q1 = new double[fd.length];
>>                double[] Q2 = new double[fd.length];
>>
>>                for (int iter=0; iter<Q.length; iter++)
>>                {
>>                        // Three point Simpson's rule.
>>                        Q1[iter] = (h/6.0)*(fa[iter] + 4.0*fc[iter] +
>> fb[iter]);
>>
>>                        // Five point double Simpson's rule.
>>                        Q2[iter] = (h/12.0)*(fa[iter] + 4.0*fd[iter] +
>> 2.0*fc[iter] + 4.0*fe[iter] + fb[iter]);
>>
>>                        // One step of Romberg extrapolation.
>>                        Q[iter] = Q2[iter] + (Q2[iter] - Q1[iter])/15.0;
>>                }
>>
>>          // Maximum function count exceeded; singularity likely.
>>                if (property.evalCount > maxEvals)
>>                        //return;
>>                        throw new MathRuntimeException("Integrator
>> exceeded maximum number of function evaluations. Singularity likely.");
>>
>>          // Maximum depth count exceeded; singularity likely.
>>                if (h<this.absPointTolerance)
>>                        return;
>>
>>                //found the right value
>>                boolean allBelow = true;
>>                for (int iter=0; iter<Q.length; iter++)
>>                        if (Math.abs(Q2[iter] - Q[iter]) > tol)
>>                          allBelow = false;
>>
>>                if (allBelow)
>>                        return;
>>

>>                // Subdivide into two subintervals.
>>
>> quadstep(f,Q1,a,c,fa,fd,fc,tol*0.5,property,maxEvals,depth+1);
>>
>> quadstep(f,Q2,c,b,fc,fe,fb,tol*0.5,property,maxEvals,depth+1);
>>
>>                for (int iter=0; iter<Q.length; iter++)
>>                        Q[iter] = Q1[iter] + Q2[iter];
>>
>>                return;
>>        }
>> }
>>

>> On Jul 1, 2013, at 1:50 PM, Ajo Fod <ajo....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> If you wanted to use the Math 3 codebase in AdaptiveQuadrature, you'd
>>> compute the calculations of Q1 and Q2 with something else. I'm not
>> entirely
>>> familiar with the apache Math codebase so my guess would be that you can
>>> replace the following line in AdaptiveQuadrature.proc():
>>>
>>> double Q1 = delta / 6 * (va + 4 * vm + vb);
>>>
>>> with a modification adapted from
>> IterativeLegendreGaussIntegrator.stage(n)
>>> line for integration as follows:
>>>
>>> Q1 = delta * FACTORY.legendreHighPrecision(numberOfPoints, a,
>>> b).integrate(fn);
>>> Q2 = delta * FACTORY.legendreHighPrecision(numberOfPoints+1, a,