Hi,

I have two points on this
1) See issue  MATH-1009
2) If LM was always better there would be no GuassNewton. Clearly this is not
the case.
LM is a mixture between GN and steepest descent, so it is only faster for
"tougher" functions. In case of strictly convex function GN should be a good
amount faster. So the correct method depends on the problem. Clearly for some
of the fitters you know if the problem is well behaved, so they should use GN,
for the general method you cannot say. I think you can easily benchmark if this
is the case.