On Mon, Dec 1, 2014, at 18:04, sebb wrote:
> On 1 December 2014 at 09:28, Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > That aside, I would do the following:
> >
> >  - jdk support for at least >7 (varargs need 5, but MessageFormat 7)

Just saw MessageFormat is even available in jdk 5. So I would opt for
this one.

> -1 if this means that CL no longer works on earlier versions of Java.

-1? haha come on, what versions would you like to support? :) Jdk 1.3 is
dead. And 1.4.2 is dead too. We speak of a CL 2.0 version, it must be
allowed to work with more recent jdks. I can't even install that old
versions on my mac. If you want to block any innovation then keep that
approach of supporting 1.3.

Spring needs Java 6, unarchived Tomcat versions require Java >5.
We can discuss Java 5, but I am definitely not doing anything when I
need to install a vm to test with 1.3.

> >  - remove AvalonLogger and LogKitLogger
>
> Why?
>
> AFAIK they just work, so why drop them?

Why keeping them? The frameworks are dead for ages, it's unlikely users
of Avalon might ever tend to upgrade to CL 2.0. Of course, if you would
implement these methods for that frameworks, you are welcome.

You need touch them to implement the new logging methods.

Cheers
Christian