> For the tuple classes, it would be possible to make an entire tuples
> library. Might be handy to generate code for it as it'd be useful to
> support tuples up to, say, 22 fields (Scala has tuple classes and
> anonymous function classes up to 22 arguments, for example). See <
> https://www.scala-lang.org/api/current/scala/Tuple22.html>.

One benefit of having an ASF commons "tuple library" is .... it's from the ASF.
I am not joking. An ASF library promisses to have a community and a life cycle
you can
precognize. In contrast a "simple" github library is just a peace of code.

> If we go to Java 8 as a base line (which would make sense), we don't
> need a commons-date library anymore, though if we did, it would be
> based on the java.time API instead. Not sure which functionality would
> be useful here.

I think converter functions between java.util.Date and java.time could be
helpful.
Think of "old" modules of your application (maybe 3rd party libs) which require
the one
and other parts which require the other.

Jan