On 5 June 2017 at 17:17, Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 5:20 PM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I'd like us to be able to push out a new release with minimal changes
>>> at any given time. If we have, for example, 1.6 as the target, and the
>>> previous
>>> release had 1.5 as the target, then we'd loose that ability, IMO.
>>> (Think security releases.We've had quite a few in the past.)
>>
>> Understood, but I'm not sure why you feel the lack of a 1.6 release
>> would prevent a security release.
>> Surely we could just apply the fixes to the previously released code
>> and change to 1.6 at the same time?
>
> Because the result clearly be binary incompatible to its predecessor,
> and that's the whole point of such an emergency release. We'd want a
> drop-in replacement.

It would not be a drop-in replacement for systems running Java 1.5,
but surely it would be compatible for those running 1.6?
If they are still running 1.5, the release would be no use anyway.

I agree that we should ideally release 1.6 to make it quicker to
release an emergency fix (and to help those stuck with 1.9+).
I'm just trying to understand your reasoning.