Le mer. 13 nov. 2019 à 15:52, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 at 14:38, Gilles Sadowski <gillese...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > Le mer. 13 nov. 2019 à 14:49, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> a écrit :
> > >
> > > +1 for CP
> > >
> > > CP versions are entirely optional;
> >
> > Not "entirely".  [We already had this discussion.]
> > It happened that a fix for <something> was available in a newer CP but
> > that <something else> in CP broke some components (e.g. when CP
> > functionality is "enhanced" based on assumptions not valid for all
> > components).
> > Then, that *suddenly* unsupported component has to cherry-pick and
> > duplicate (in its local POM) what exists in that newer CP which it cannot
> > use anymore.
> >

> The newer version was still optional.
>
> By which I mean that it does not affect components that do not choose to
> use it.
> Also if a particular version is problematic, it can be ignored by all
> components.
>
> In the case above, the newer CP version was faulty: it fixed some things
> and broke others.
>
> Components that were affected by the breakages still had the choice to
> continue with the previous version.

Yes, at the cost of having to fix/duplicate functionality that was delegated
to CP which now breaks that "promise".

> They were no worse off than before

It has happened, that an upgrade to a newer CP was *necessary*; for
example, to get the new version of a plugin (and this plugin had been
handled in CP).  Now, if the CP that provides the new version broke
something, then the plugin must now be handled at the component
level.  Which entails duplication, and is contrary to having a *shared*
configuration (where improvements benefit everyone).

> - but of course the new version did not
> help them either.

The point is that a CP upgrade should *not* be allowed to break
existing components that rely on the last released version.
Perhaps a Jenkins job could help assessing the impact of a using
an alternative CP (?).

Gilles