This sounds a lot like what was discussed back when components went through
Java 6 -> 7 and later Java 7 -> 8 upgrades. So far, we’ve only made Java
requirement updates in the minor version, not the patch version, and as Gary is
saying, we wouldn’t bump the major version without renaming the entire API/ABI
as usual, and that’s typically reserved for compatibility-breaking changes.

On the other hand, since multi-release jars are a thing, we could theoretically
target Java 8 and others at the same time. Various tooling has historically
been buggy around multi-release jars (anything scanning for .class files in
/META-INF is already incorrect before considering multi-release jars), so
that’s something to also consider.