On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 12:55:26AM +1000, David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:

> > >We don't know that yet. Brian is not the only person
> > >in this community. It is a pity that no-one can make
> > >the effort to follow up on such legal aspects.

It looks like you mean that in a general sense, but in this case I didn't
expect anyone to champion a plugin that only I have access to. Based
on good advice earlier in the thread, I've been holding off contacting
legal-discuss until I can write it up in a way that doesn't waste
their time or mine. Another factor is that I didn't expect an outcome
that would put the plugin on ASF hardware, but see below.

> > Peronslly I don't need to follow up. There is GPL code - that's the end
> > of the story for the ASF. I too have looked for alternatives in the past
> > - they don't (to my knowedge exist) and I've wasted much time on this in
> > the past.
> >
> > I'm offering a solution. If others want to follow up on the legal front
> > fine - for me it is a dead end so lets get the code where it can be used.
>
> I am not referring to finding a replacement. I mean that
> our "legal-discuss" list is not a boogey monster. They
> want to treat everything on a case-by-case basis.
>
> No-one has yet even approached them on this matter.
>
> See Henri's answer in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-8

I read that and the other legal issues in this thread and was
discouraged. If I have the time to write a draft that satisfies me,
I'll contact them.

Brian