I did some net archaeology:

This was initially added to document-v11 DTD around 2003-03-20,
i gather as part of the alignment with xhtml at the time.
Soon after, the DTD changes since Forrest-0.4 were removed
and the new document-v12 was commenced in CVS on 2003-04-24:
http://marc.info/?l=forrest-dev&m=105115903415487
which did contain a comment about it.

The comment is also listed at the end of our example documents, e.g.:
http://forrest.apache.org/dtdx/document-v20.html#changes-12
viz:
"doc-v12 enhances doc-v11 by relaxing various restrictions that were found to
be unnecessary.
* Links ((link|jump|fork) and inline elements (br|img|icon|acronym) are allowed
inside title.
* ..."

-David