On Aug 17, 2010, at 3:16 PM, Caolán McNamara wrote:
On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 14:22 +0200, Rene Engelhard wrote:

It'll probably be an icu issue, and any fixes are probably ultimately
doomed to failure unless the whacky Indic re-ordering rules
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/OpenType%20Dev/malayalam/ intro.mspx
are followed.

Last month there was an related discussion on the OpenType list ("Left Matra Reordering Question") and in the end the core developer of ICU's layout engine claimed that he now knows how to make the everything work.

Harfbuzz looked hopeful as a unified place for icu/pango/etc to put the
reordering rules, but they're still basically stubbed out there.

I do have on my own to-do list to attempt the above Malayalam rules for
ICU, but its thankless work so I've continually punted it out too the
future.

There are good chances that the latest ICU trunk already works...

Herbert Duerr | Software Engineer
Oracle Open Office Development

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande