On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 04:39:00PM +0200, Andrà Malo wrote:
> * Joe Orton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > 1) it's not particularly useful to be able to retrieve byteranges of the
> > output of some SSI, CGI or PHP script output, if the output may change
> > for each request anyway.
>
> Not agreed. It is, especially for download scripts very useful (which e.g.
> count the number of downloads or whatever).

OK sure, but the point you have to argue is why it's useful to support
this feature *in httpd*.  N million 1.3 users live without it.  I'm
arguing that you can and should implement byteranging in your CGI script
if you want that, since that is the place where it is efficient to do
so.  If you serve DVD images with your counting-CGI do you really want
to pass 2Gb through the filter chain then discard it, for those "last 5
bytes" byterange requests?

(I probably should have made the subject "a lazy developer's byterange
filter" to make my intentions clear about doing any real work to fix PR
29962 :)

joe