Leif W wrote:
>>Andrew Stribblehill, Thursday, November 18, 2004 07:53
>>
>>Quoting Ivan Ristic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (2004-11-17 17:31:39 GMT):
>>
>>>Paul Querna wrote:
>>>
>>>  Are you familiar with FastCGI? My first impression is that most of
>>>  what you envision is possible today with FastCGI, or would be
>>>  possible with some (small) additional effort.
>>
>>FastCGI is non-free. This solution also copes with things like
>>mod_php and mod_perl being a different user. A Good Thing IMO.
>
> Just to clarify: Which FastCGI are we talking about?  There are two
> listed on http://modules.apache.org/ .
>
> There's the (former?) OpenMarket's http://fastcgi.com/ (mod_fastcgi),
> with the unclear license,

  In what sense is the licence unclear?

  But even if it is, I think it is worth to reuse the protocol
  alone. There are many well-tested FastCGI libraries that support
  it on the client side.

  If the general idea of using FastCGI is acceptable a stress
  test can be performed to determine whether the performance
  of the existing modules/libraries is adequate.

> which was last released as version 2.4.2 on
> 2003-11-24.  Does it still work with Apache httpd 2.0.x?

  Works fine with httpd 2.0.x in my tests (mod_fastcgi 2.4.2, I
  didn't try the more recent snapshot). I have the impression that
  many people feel FastCGI is dead because there isn't much
  activity on the web site. But it seems to me the authors have
  just made the protocol (and the Apache module) do what they wanted
  it to do.

> Does it work with 2.1.x?

  I don't know.

> Then there's http://fastcgi.coremail.cn/ (mod_fcgid), is GPL, which
> implements the FastCGI protocol, and was last released as version 1.0 on
> 2004-09-14.  Is this implementation complete, efficient, comparable to
> the original mod_fastcgi?

  Never used that one. The web site does not say what motivated
  the developer to produce another implementation.

--
ModSecurity (http://www.modsecurity.org)
[ Open source IDS for Web applications ]