Paul A. Houle wrote:

Also the stability of APR is going to matter. For a long time you had to run Subversion on APR out of CVS and I'd often update svn and then find that I had to update APR because they'd changed it so it depends on the latest APR.

If APR is going to be reasonably stable in the future, then I feel OK thinking of it as a system library. If, on the other hand, it's really joined-at-the-hip to Apache and lots of app developers are building things that need the CVS version of APR, it had better not be.

APR has been stable for quite some time, and Subversion hasn't required an update to an unreleased version of APR for anything in about as long as I can remember.

-garrett