On 03/03/2007 05:47 AM, Karl Chen wrote:

> present.  Also other issues like noise in the log file.  I've also
> seen people complaining that "GET /" might incur the cost of
> dynamic content generation for /.

Hm. Just thinking loud. Can we avoid this if we replace GET / with OPTIONS /?

> Would it be possible to connect to a non-SSL port, if possible, so
> at least the string "internal dummy connection" shows up?
>
> Even better would be to not show that string at all.  When I
> connect to httpd and close the connection without sending
> anything, I don't get any log entries.  Would that work for
> dummy_connection() also?  If that won't work, would it be possible
> to arrange something like: a receipt of "NOOP\r\n" on
> (ip6-)?localhost:* is ignored without logging (unless configured
> otherwise).

The dummy request needs to be a valid HTTP request (at least on non
SSL ports) due to BSD accept filters (see
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/en/mod/core.html#acceptfilter) and
in the SSL port case you need to sent a least one byte for the same
reason. So I guess the cryptic error message in the SSL case will
remain. In the case of a non SSL port you get at least a user agent
for which you can grep. In order to get this done in the SSL case I
guess we would need to establish a SSL connection.

Regards

RĂ¼diger