Colm MacCarthaigh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Sat, Aug 18, 2007 at 05:09:08PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> Hmmm... seems that - even though we've *repeated* this multiple times,
>> we have to state this again.  Contents of http://httpd.apache.org/dev/dist/
>> are *development* tarballs and not for any distribution.
>
> It's called "dist", clearly they are for any level distribution anyone
> feels like. Unless you want us to re-license!

But the "dist" should be limited to people who are on/pay attention to
this mailing list [1].  Anything else increases the personal liability of
anyone involved in putting that tarball up on the website for download.

If putting files into dev/dist conveys the implication that you intend
for people to be *redistributing* those artifacts, then I think it
is a mistake, and you'd be better off using people.apache.org/~foo
for putting up candidates to test.  That doesn't stop people from
redistributing candidates, but it doesn't conflate the fact that
the ASF/this PMC has done nothing to endorse them.

[1] - http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what

--
Joe Schaefer