On 3/27/08 9:00 AM, "Nick Kew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> /Lua>
>
> Fine for users who want to hack their own server.  Like <Perl>.

Every play with lighttpd?  It's almost the same way... Of course typical
lighthttpd user is a "hacker."

> But r.filename is the kind of innards we really don't want
> to expose to the typical mod_rewrite user!

We already expose a lot.  You can, indirectly set r->filename with
mod_rewrite currently.

>> And if the more "complicated" modules had a little lua "glue":
>>
>> if string.match(r.uri, '/something') then
>>      mod_cache:cacheable( r )
>> end
>
> A fine recipe for users shooting themselves in the foot, PHP-style.
> How would you propose to make that work without hackage to
> existing modules?

I don't.  Hence the "glue."

>> If one were so inclined, the entire configuration could be lua.  Just
>> define and register these functions that need to run per request.
>
> That'll go alongside DrBacchus's "You can do everything with
> mod_rewrite" :-)

If you had lua (or whatever) in configs, you don't need mod_rewrite, alias,
etc...

Anyway, back to your suggestion of If's and per request configs, I'm +1,
especially if it's easily extensible and doesn't parse the tree on every
single request.

--
Brian Akins
Chief Operations Engineer