> Sergey wrote...
> That's new to me that browsers don't cache stuff that has Vary only on
> Accept-Encoding - can you post some statistics or describe the test you ran?

Test results and statistics...

Apache DEV forum...
http://www.pubbs.net/200908/httpd/55434-modcache-moddeflate-and-vary-user-agent.html

apache-modgzip forum...
http://marc.info/?l=apache-modgzip&m=103958533520502&w=2

Etc, etc. Lots of discussion about this has taken place over
on the SQUID forums as well.

> As for *all* content types, I don't think we're talking about compressing
> images
> and it's relatively easy to create a white-list to have gzip on for by
> default.

Apache's own mod_deflate docs show how to exclude images.
That's a no-brainer.
It's the OTHER mime types that get hairy.

> The question regarding support in browsers actually is very serious too and
> I'd love
> to see statistics for that too - it sounds too scary and middle-ages to me.

You must be new to this sort of thing.
See links above and read the MANY related threads on the SQUID forum.

> I didn't get this impression from all the talks about gzip and research
> that guys from Google did, for example, when they were looking for a source
> of
> lower gzip rates (it turned out to be antivirus software stripping
> Accept-encoding headers).

I think I know the Google R/D you are referring to and it was almost a joke.
There was a LOT of research they did NOT do and they made many assumptions
that are simply NOT TRUE in the REAL WORLD.

> Thank you,
> Sergey

You're welcome
Kevin