Changing the semantics of Accept-Encoding / Content-Encoding is likely out of
scope for HTTPbis; I have a hard time believing it wouldn't make existing
implementations non-conformant, which we can really only do if there's a
serious security or interoperability concern.

OTOH I think it would be reasonably easy to change Squid and other
intermediaries to "pass through" TE; i.e., if the client asks for hop-by-hop
compression, ask the server for hop-by-hop compression as well (so they don't
have to dynamically decompress and possibly buffer responses for clients that
don't support it).

The question would be whether any reasonable number of browsers would start
sending TE. Given that both Chrome and FF are on a perf kick these days, I
think it's possible. The problem with hop-by-hop compression has always been
that "no-one else does it"... if Apache were to start, that would be a step.

Interestingly, it appears that Mozilla had partial support at one time:
  http://www-archive.mozilla.org/projects/apache/gzip/

> Here we hope to use the new HTTP1.1 TE: gzip header to request compressed
> versions of HTML files. Then the server would need to do streaming
> compression to generate the results. To minimize the overhead on the server
> it should keep a cache of the compressed files to quickly fill future
> requests for the same compressed data.
>
> The current Mozilla source can already accept and decode Transfer-encoding:
> gzip data, but does not currently send the TE: header.

but I can't find the corresponding code in the current Mozilla source.

Regards,