On 07.05.2012 16:02, Daniel Gruno wrote:
> With an impressive 8 x +1 binding votes and no -1's, as well as +2 from
> other docs@ readers, I believe we can call this vote passed with flying
> colors :).

Apologies for being late with this, but the specifics of the currently
used implementation (Disqus) only caught my attention after the Google
Analytics "trial" this week.

I very much appreciate the recent work on improving the docs and would
by no means want to dampen that enthusiasm. Adding a commentary system
also seems like a completely reasonable step to me (provided that the
comments are moderated before appearing on the site).

Looking at the call for votes [retained below for reference] and at the
votes, I'm not sure if the +1 voters were aware of the specific
"mechanics" of the Disqus comment system which is now embedded into all
HTML below http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/ [1], however.

Effectively, using Disqus means that even visiting an "innocent" page
like http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/license.html will already result
in all sorts of "drive-by" tracking requests [2], among them Google
Analytics (pulled in via httpd.disqus.com/thread.js).

Based on the fact that there's currently no privacy policy for
httpd.apache.org - which would make visitors aware of being tracked (and
link to both the Disqus privacy policy [3] and the GA privacy policy
[4]) - I believe that the vote should be repeated, with being recast to:

  [+/-1] Add the Disqus commentary system to the trunk documentation.

As an interim measure, I also think it would be wise to revert the
changes applied in r1335029/r1335773, for the time being.

Kaspar

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=r1335029

[2] URI host names: httpd.disqus.com, www.google-analytics.com,
    pixel.quantserve.com, b.scorecardresearch.com,
    juggler.services.disqus.com, mediacdn.disqus.com

[3] http://docs.disqus.com/help/30/ (which states, inter alia: "This
    Privacy Policy was first published and made effective on May 9,
    2012" - which makes you wonder what they had in place before that
    date...)

[4] http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/