I'll have a look again "soon."

Earlier I couldn't think of a more efficient or direct mechanism that makes
sense as an API

IIRC, mpm-itk only needs to call stat() on the file to check for
permissions, and since (in the successful case) the file is about to be
opened I assume that the performance degradation is minimal.

(It has been a while since I looked at the code.)

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Steinar H. Gunderson <sgunder...@bigfoot.com

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/