My point is that if we EOL 2.2 (with some definition of "EOL")
then people on 2.2 (or earlier) will have some *real* incentive
to move off of 2.2 towards 2.4 (or later)...

Basically, we need something to "kick" people off 2.2
and get them to 2.4. By stating that 2.2 will ONLY get
security related fixes and no new features or improvements,
and that 2.2 will be EOL by 201X, that will be encouragement.
That, of course, assumes that we "care" one way or another
about moving people to a more up-to-date and performant
httpd, as well as whatever the future holds for httpd.

FWIW: It was this month's PMC status report which kind of
      spurred this email.