On 2015-05-27 17:34, William A Rowe Jr wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 7:54 AM, Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyone else think it's time to EOL 2.2 and focus
>> on 2.4 and the next gen?
>

> Nope, we'll let the internet speak for itself -
>
> http://w3techs.com/technologies/history_details/ws-apache/2
>
> We are nowhere near close enough to the inflection point of that graph to
> justify starting the 12 month EOL clock (which has been our traditional
> countdown, same as the Tomcat project).
>
> My thoughts are that http/2
>> and mod_h2 will drive the trunk design efforts and so
>>

> That sounds about right.  I'm personally interested in 3.0 - refactoring on
> trunk to clean up the evolution of httpd since 2.0.36.  That was when we
> froze MMN majors, so many many bits are now shoehorned into the server in
> very awkward manners.  This will make backports to 2.4 more complex,
> however.
>

>> it would be nice to focus energy on 2.4 and later...
>>

> Focus your energy on anything you like.

Not directly related to the EoL discussion, but some additional notices why
a change to 2.4 takes some time.

There where are some deal breakers for users to keep 2.2 running, most of
them are fixed meanwhile.

E.g.

- mod_perl was for a long time not usable with 2.4, as a workaround most
  porters / packagers are shaping mod_perl for 2.4 directly from mod_perl
  trunk, now we see a first 2.0.9-rc1.
- for long time there was no working mod_php module for 2.4, and changing to
  php-fpm was not for everyone a solution.
- a bunch of third party modules are written for 2.0.x and do not build
  against 2.4, in some cases simply fixing
  s/r->useragent_ip/r->connection->remote_ip/ does the trick to make users
  happy

I remember endless discussions removing apache 1.3 from the ports tree even
one year after the 1.3 EoL, and the complain was not only from end users.