On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 3:56 PM, André Malo <n...@perlig.de> wrote:
> * wr...@apache.org wrote:
>
>> Author: wrowe
>> Date: Tue Apr 18 16:25:03 2017
>> New Revision: 1791807

>> Log:
>> KISS: RemoveType is a simpler fix for .tr
>
> I seem to remember, that removetype does not override mime.types (only
> addtype entries). But I might be wrong (and did not check now).

I checked this in 2.4.x-dev branch, chrome could have lied, of course.

>> explain .da files; order our
>> LanguagePriority by a first-order comparison and drop negligable
>> translations from our ordered priority preference list entirely.
>
> I don't see what problem that's supposed to solve. On the contrary, since
> the configured negotiation happens per file [1], removing languages, we do
> provide somewhere does not make sense at all.

I'm not able to parse your thought here... let me clarify, and then please
clarify your objection.

The question of language priority is strictly one of the accuracy of one
language variant over another.

That question is largely answered by the browser, given three languages;
fr q=1 en q=.8 ru q=.2 it says that this guest of your website is fluent in
French, will comprehend English reasonably well, and can stumble through
some Russian. So if the French can be served, we will serve it, and as all
documents exist in English, we will fall back on that.

The question isn't answered if this is a client with no matching languages,
if only Estonian is given as a preferred language, we would normally serve
a list of possible documents. That's foolish so we force-override with some
sensible choice and an option to toggle between languages on every page.

Where we find et q=1 fr q=.5 es q=.5 ... they will be equally comfortable
with either French, or Spanish, since Estonian isn't available. Now which
do we serve? That is where my edit comes in.

The answer is invariably English because that is the source language.
Where equal-weight is given and we have two translations other than
English to automatically fulfill, it must be the more relevant one. We
can't practically do this on a document-by-document basis, so what is
your suggestion for prioritizing the most trustworthy (on our terms)
translation where the user-agent refuses to give one or the other a
higher priority?