On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 7:52 AM Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> And lest we forget, the orig version used:
>
>     $openssl list -commands
>
> I have no idea what version of openssl supports 'list'. The result
> of which was that the ocsp testing was ALWAYS SKIPPED.

No, it wasn't skipped. We weren't looking at the result code, but examining
stdout, and jorton's original test was correct for everyone testing with
OpenSSL 1.1.0 and later.

It was also correct for 1.0.2 and prior if the perl implementation was
capturing stderr to stdout as a result of `openssl list`, because in these
versions, the entire command list is dumped to stderr for the unrecognized
verb 'list', until you redirected stderr to /dev/null. list -commands was
introduced in 1.1.0. Also 1.1.0 dropped the list-standard-commands.

A correct solution, now committed, uses the original implementation but now
lumps stderr into stdout. For all flavors of OpenSSL we have a verb list to
evaluate.

I still ask whether testing system("$openssl ocsp -help") for a positive
(0) result code makes sense, but that reintroduces a >/dev/null 2>&1 which
I'd pointed out earlier breaks win32 testing because NUL <> /dev/null on
that platform, so it seemed simpler just to revert to jorton's solve.