Hello,

I am new to this list (I am the lead translator of OOo into Slovenian
language), I hope I am posting to the right group.

I am currently very pissed off so I did not bother checking if someone
alredy asked this question. And taking in a breath or two will not
help calming me down. So, here are the questios. And I do apologize if
this venting is too much for this list in advance.

Who is the genius who has completely revamped the English OOo Help
content in one of the past milestones and now again (repeating the
mistakes while eliminating some from previous CWS!) in the m57
introducing tons and tons of "      " (unnecessary, unwanted 6 empty
spaces) in otherwise unchanged English strings?

Who is the genius changing tags from "<item>" to "<item
type=\"menuitem\">" (where applicable) in several files? Although that
might be useful and logical and a decision, agreed on by OOo
developers, 100 translators to other languages must replicate the
manual work in each and every string (and there are more than 500
strings changed in this way in m57)! Are you nuts? Can't you offer an
automatic tool for that? Do we have to retranslate or retype/repaste
all the help all the time?

And then English strings like this one appear:
Click the <item type=\"menuitem\">Outline & Numbering</item>
    <emph/>tab.

Not to mention the fact that the gettext tools fuzzy-match more or
less the <type=\"menuitem\"> part of the string and not what's inside,
so fuzzy matching in most of these cases does not help translators.
Here is schematic example:
Choose <emph>SOMETHING</emph>.
gets a fuzzy translation like:
Choose <item type=\"menuitem\">SOMETHING-ELSE</item>.
So almost all of these must be manually edited, and you must know (or
look up) the translation of all those menu entries or buttons. And
mistakes might happen ...

Please, instruct me, what do I do with strings like:
"Choose <emph>Tools - Language - Thesaurus</emph>         "
changed from
"Choose <emph>Tools - Language - Thesaurus</emph>"
Do I have to add 6 spaces at the end in Slovenian version? Or will
there be an update on September 21 where all these mistakes will be
erradicated and I will have to go through all the wrong strings with
spaces (there must be 400 or more of them) and use my through-out ok
Slovenian translations, marking them ok from being fuzzied again?

How do such changes pass QA? Do you really not care for (mostly)
open-source translators around the world giving up their spare time to
this project? Not to mention that sdf for this massive change got
available just two days ago, only two weeks before feature freeze,
when testing and finishing up of translations starts ... If all
translators would be paid by Sun by the hour, the developers & QA
would really think about such massive changes before approving them.

Sorry, but I just could not beat around the bush. I guess other
translators must feel about the same (or there is something very much
wrong with me).

Lp, m.