On Apr 3, 2008, at 4:01 PM, till wrote:

> I haven't seen pine and mutt in ages.

We use a desktop graphical MUA ( Thunderbird, Evolution, or Apple's
Mail.app ), RoundCube, and also alpine ( the successor to pine ) for
text logins.

Example of text login use :
A video editor is working in Final Cut Pro on OS X and wants to
maximize the computer resources for that, but still remain attentive
to incoming e-mail. A telnet session to the internal mail host and
running alpine does that without the overhead of a modern browser or
graphical desktop MUA. Instead of 40 to 100 MB, a Terminal session is
less than 10 MB of RAM, and much less CPU overhead. A terminal window
takes up less screen real estate too.

> I can't comment on this though I
> think an MUA uses IMAP as the interface and doesn't care about Mailbox
> or Mbox in the backend.

A remote MUA doesn't care about the type of mail storage, but
something like alpine that accesses a local mail store does. Although
alpine, pine or mutt can be configured to use either maildir or mbox.
I believe you have to choose one, you can't mix.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-mail_clients#Database.
2C_folders_and_customization>
The first column lists the storage formats supported.

Actually one of the big additions to alpine over pine is support for
remote connections, it doesn't have to access a local mail store.

I'm off in the weeds here now, so I'll go away.

Charles Dostale
http://www.silveroaks.com/
824 17th Street, Moline  IL  61265