I would call it advancing insight. I can't think of an assembly which is only for unittesting (due to the src/test folder) and won't be attached the the MavenProject for deployment.

For users it would make it clear:
everything under /src/main are files required during compile time
everything under /src/test are files required during test time
everything under /src/it are files required during integration tests
assembly descriptors doesn't cover one of these, so it should have its own folder.

While Maven-core uses src/main/assembly for years doesn't mean that we could adjust our advice.

Robert