Am 2014-10-12 um 16:10 schrieb Benson Margulies:
On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 9:25 AM, Karl Heinz Marbaise <khmarba...@gmx.de> wrote:
Hi Robert,

from my point of view minimum to 3.0.5 ...nothing below...afterwards
3.1.1.....and then 3.2.1...the latest releases from the appropriate release
lines 3.0.X, 3.1.X, 3.2.X,....

I wouldn't go to 3.1.0 at the moment cause that could be confusing....from
user point of view...than there is a gap...

2.2.1
3.1.1

 From my side...

Here's what I _think_ is going on here. Two issues.

First, Maven 3.0 was a bit of a camel; there are a number of issues
with how Aether and such are plugged in that lead to problems in
plugin development. Witness the mess in the dependency plugin as it
tried/tries to straddle. So, there's a desire to pull the floor up on
the plugins in the hopes of getting to the point where, in general,
plugin developers are dealing with a rationalized view of artifacts,
dependencies, the like.

Second. this group made a decision to stop supporting Maven 2.x core,
period. So, it seemed that a reasonable sequel to that was to pull the
floor up to, at least, the lowest supported version of the core. Is
anyone here committed to making 3.0 alpha-x bugfix releases? No; at
most, someone might be willing to make another 3.0.x. So requiring
3.0.x to get new versions of plugins makes logical sense to me. If, in
fact, no one is willing to make even a 3.0.x release, we should
'unsupport' 3.0.x in the same way we unsupported 2.2.x. I'm not
_advocating_ here.

+2

I have started a discussion here several months ago and all upcoming releaes of 3.0.x and 3.1.x have been removed from MNG by me.

I second your opinion, Karl Heinz should complete 2.2.1 upgrade for plugins and some time later (e.g. 2015-01) we should announce EOL of 3.0.x. Sthis would make split code for Aether and probably other issues way easier.

Michael