Karl, the README.txt will force the users to prepare for Maven 3.
IMHO the SUREFIRE 3.0 would completely switch to Maven 3.
Then we can use prerequisites with enforcer declaring the same min version
of Maven dist.
We will have chance to use Java Generics instead of using java.lang.Object
in public API, remove jdk-1.3 and 1.4 profiles, declare surefire|failsafe
property prefixes, use JDK 6 and Java 1.6 API, and break the backwards
compatibility.

The Java 6 is not maintained by the Oracle. It would be nice to see the
Maven running on the top of Java 8 in the near future. I am not sure if we
would have any bigger benefits from JDK 7 except for NIO and GC
improvements.

-----
BR, tibor17