Hi,

first to say trying to build surefire with Maven 2.2.1 will fail with a circular dependency...problem (as Kristian mentioned)...so best would be to require such things not by a README better by prerequisites/enforcer ...

Apart from the README.txt is intended for developers of Surefire and not for users of surefire...cause they will on the web site and see Maven 2.2.1 / JDK 1.4 ....The don't take a look into the release-source package....

The requirement for some plugins at the momment: Maven 3.X (maven-shade-plugin, maven-scm-publish-plugin)...is not a problem but the compatibility for run-time...Maven 2.2.1 minimum....

The majority of the plugins will currently being lifted to Maven 2.2.1 minimum which implies Java 1.5 ...which for example for surefire it not the case JDK 1.4...at the moment...

See here:

https://builds.apache.org/job/dist-tool-plugin/site/dist-tool-prerequisites.html

The next level will be Maven 3.0.5 minimum and number the plugins accordingly like 3.0 as already mentioned...to have a clear line for users...(Maven Site Plugin already does so...)...

Karl Heinz