Robert,

I think it's reasonable at this point to move to Java 1.7. I'd really prefer to
use new features and given Java 1.7 is about to be EOL'd I don't think it's
very practical staying on Java 1.6.

On Mar 5, 2015, at 8:09 AM, Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> We never got a final official policy.
>
> I believe the consensus was at least:
>
> * all Java versions currently supported by Oracle and one back on a Major
> version bump.
>
> I think we should go with all Java versions currently supported by Oracle
> on a Minor version bump... but there was some grumbling from Chris and I
> didn't want to fracture the community at the time.
>
> I think with Oracle being more strict it is reasonable that we start moving
> on up.
>
> Thus if we are to have a policy I would say that every minor version
> release is supposed to work with any version line of Java that was under
> public free support by Oracle at the time of the first release in our minor
> version line.
>
> Or in other words, 3.3.x would be JDK7 & JDK8 (it may work with JDK9 but we
> cannot know until that is released)
>
> Moving our base JDK up will allow us to compile with JDK7 bytecode which
> will improve startup performance according to the rumours I have heard.
>
> On 5 March 2015 at 15:53, Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io> wrote:
>
>> Stephen, as the keeper of long discussions we've had about JDK versions
>> what did we actually decide a while back?
>>
>> On Mar 5, 2015, at 7:43 AM, Stephen Connolly <
>> stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> +1

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder, Takari and Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>> http://twitter.com/takari_io
>>
>> Selfish deeds are the shortest path to self destruction.
>>
>> -- The Seven Samuari, Akira Kurosawa

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder, Takari and Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what you're talking
about.

 -- John von Neumann