I am not sure I understand your concerns. Consider the following simple
source tree with a parent and single child project

    some:parent:1.2.3
      some:module parent=some:parent:[1.0,2.0)

Before this change Maven simply ignored local some:parent:1.2.3 when
building the module and always attempted to resolve
some:parent:[1.0,2.0) from repositories. With this change Maven resolves
some:parent:[1.0,2.0) from the source tree as expected.

Or did I misunderstand the problem?

Igor