Hi,

The change is explained here:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/maven-3.html

The injection is done in DefaultReportingConverter [1]

At the beginning, the dream was to remove <reporting> element from pom.xml:
then we later found that we could not since this is the only place where
reporting plugin inheritance can happen (no inheritance in reportPlugin
parameter of maven-site-plugin).

Then this idea about <reportinp> removal was abandonned, I took time to
document the strategy revert as much as possible. But I didn't take time to do
some cleanup: this parameter that is magically injected by Maven core should
probably be changed into a classical "${project.reporting}" parameter default
value.

Regards,

Hervé

[1] http://maven.apache.org/ref/3-LATEST/maven-model-builder/apidocs/org/
apache/maven/model/plugin/DefaultReportingConverter.html