If you would run Central on git like that in a centralized manner you would
have to find someone that does that hosting for you and you would have to get
buy in from the community to use that - both extremely hard or impossible.

And if you dont do that but instead go with the distributed system you end up
with the registry model that I think just doesnt really work in the real world.

manfred