Hello Tibor,

thank you for sharing your thoughts and thank you for the review.

> Am 10.06.2017 um 12:48 schrieb Tibor Digana <tibordig...@apache.org>:
>
> Both branches are messy.
> 3.0-rc1 is pretty old and not working properly because one IT fails.
> I wanted to continue on 3.0 two years ago but could not because the plugin
> was unstable and the 3.0 Extensions was undefined. The way to have
> extensions is clear to me now. Currently now the plugin is able to work
> with Maven 3 so the stability has higher preference. So I wanted release
> 2.20.1 by the end of this week and then 2.20.2 with JDK 9. After this we
> have nothing to fix in stability.
>
> The JUnit 5 should go to one branch. I do not know why I was so liberal to
> accept pushing JUnit 5 provider to 3.0-rc1 branch. Anyway I do not want to
> push branches junit5 and 3.0-rc1 directly to master now because it is
> technically impossible. Instead I would like to create a patch from
> 3.0-rc1, test it, apply the patch in another branch on the top of master
> HEAD and commit consistent single commit to new branch 3.0-alpha1 and then
> JUnit 5 patch to another branch. These branches will be used for code
> review before pushing directly to master. This is usual process. Meanwhile
> the branches will be in progress there will be no other activity due to
> these are very big and merge conflicts should be avoided.
>
> So I would propose committing all code related to JUnit 5 to branch junit5
> include changes in AbstractSurefireMojo and add ITs which are necessary.
> At the time when we prepare branch for code review we need to have tests to
> make sure the code is not risky.

Okay, so let me propose this:

I will create a new PR targeted at the junit5 branch, where I will cherry-pick
to commits with the provider code. Then I create another PR to remove the
provider code vom 3.0-rc1 branch again. This way we have the junit 5 code in a
separate branch and can decide where we want to merge it to.

Regards,
Benedikt