Choose one to start with, is what I would do.

git svn clone of a trunk only, then make that master. branch/tag history
can be retained in Subversion but also up on MavenCentral as
foo-x.y-sources.jar files.  Unless you optimize that git-svn-clone
operation by specifying the first Svn commit for the module in question,
it'll need many hours to iterate over all commits to pluck out the ones
pertinent to the trunk of that module.

GitHub only allows a single effective 'parent directory' for repos, so
instead of the general github.com/apache org (and in lieu of
github.com/apache/maven/<repo-name> which is what you'd actually want), we
could do github.com/apache-maven/<repo-name>.

I volunteer for some of the work.  Err, maybe I should read those
confluence pages.

- Paul