Hi Max,

regarding the contribution, I would like to propose the following:
- At least create a JIRA issue for every feature.
- Due to the large amount of code I can imagine there are some dependencies between the features, i.e some features should be implemented first. - Based on that we can decide what we want to adopt, prioritize/order and start working on the implementations.
- I assume CLA[1] is not an issue ;)

Do you have statistics of the memory consumption?

It looks to me we need to introduce some sort of profiles, so people can choose the preferred setup. I see both the memory and concurrency as solutions that come with "costs" not everybody wants to pay.
Did you solve this with a specific builder?
Also, did you have to break APIs or are all current plugins and extensions still usable?

thanks,
Robert

[1] https://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide