Simplest is to clone (in gh) these reposes to your user

https://github.com/apache/maven
https://github.com/apache/maven-resolver
https://github.com/apache/maven-wagon

Then clone them from there to your machine (git clone). I usually add
"upstream" remote (git remote add upstream ...) that points back to
original apache reposes, is easier to track them later (fetch -p, rebase
upstream/master).

Finally, in idea just create empty new project, and import modules by
pointing idea at top level pom of each project.

Hth

Ps: am on phone, so bear with me if mistakes present