On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 6:52 AM Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net> wrote:

> Thanks Elliotte!
>
> But allow me a bit of a rant here:
> - You explicitly reported "on my personal and slightly more up to date
> MacBook [...] [the test fails, hence am -1 on release]".
> - Then it turns out, you use Maven 3.5.0 (from 2018, unmaintained).

3.5.0 was the corp Macbook. My personal MacBook is 3.8.7 atm.

> - Then it turns out, you use Java 8u172 (from 2018, obviously outdated as
> current Java 8 is u300-ish).
>
> All this caused a huge pollution to the voting thread.
>
> Personally, I don't care what downstream developers use (outdated Maven
> and/or Java and even OS) to build their stuff,
> but "at the source", where we produce Maven and related libraries for
> downstream consumption,
> we should be REALLY up to date. This is in OUR favor, just to make sure all
> the known issues from our
> tools can be excluded (or if new issues found, easier to find them), as
> much as possible.

I think that's likely to produce far more weird, hard-to-debug
breakages of Maven on end users' machines. IMHO we are already far too
aggressive in what we consider supported. The enterprise and big tech
world simply does not upgrade that fast. For instance, 3.5.0 is what I
had on my day job machine because that's what the package manager
installs in 2023, not because it's the version I picked.

There is a clear distinction between Maven itself and the plugins and
libraries pulled in via a pom.xml. Maven is a tool installed on end
users machines and is years out of date in many cases. Libraries
published for consumption by builds through declarations in the
pom.xml, and this includes plugins, should not be tightly coupled to
the versions of tools installed on end user systems such as mvn and
the JDK. It's the robustness principle in action, be conservative in
what you send, be liberal in what you accept.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elh...@ibiblio.org