Unsure from where you get that, but is wrong conclusion.

You can have dep1:jar, dep2:module, dep3:agent and all 3 MAY
(ArtifactHandler dependent, assuming "jar", "module" and "agent" artifact
handlers all return extension=jar) refer to the same JAR file in your local
repository.

Type merely adds "semantics" WHAT is it about, HOW to make use of it.
Please see
https://maven.apache.org/repositories/artifacts.html#but-where-do-i-set-artifact-extension

Thanks