From: John Casey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 10:43 AM
To: Maven Developers List
Subject: [PROPOSAL] Capture all plugin-friendly APIs/facades in single
maven-api artifact

Hi,

I'd like to propose that for Maven trunk/2.1 we capture all plugin-
facing APIs and facades inside a single maven-api artifact. This
would enumerate in a very clear fashion the public APIs that we need
to support. We're approaching a turning point in Maven, where we'll
have plugins that could feasibly run in both 2.0.x and 2.x (>= 2.1),
and these plugins need a mechanism for coping with what will probably
be critical changes in the internals of Maven.

Recent discussions about artifact resolution from plugins begin to
point at this need (eg. using maven-artifact directly vs. using the
version of maven-artifact, along with accompanying interfaces, that
come with Maven itself). I understand that some of this might seem
redundant in the presence of new facades introduced to maven-artifact
itself...I was thinking of this more as a "This is everything you can
do with Maven from inside a Mojo" artifact.

WDYT?

-john
---
John Casey