On 7-Apr-08, at 3:58 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
Would being able to detect the encoding help with making this less complicated. Something JChardet?

Sorry, something like JCharet:

http://jchardet.sourceforge.net/

On 7-Apr-08, at 2:31 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
Le dimanche 06 avril 2008, Jason van Zyl a écrit :
I specifically meant the core changes, but I would still recommending what Milos did which was to create branches for a few of the affected
plugins to try it all together.
ok, I created http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/sandbox/branches/MNG-2216/
with javadoc and jxr plugins branches to test the change, and sample use
case.

Most certainly to test new elements in
the POM you need to use a branch because we still don't have a
strategy for dealing with model changes.
this one is more tricky, even if the change in pom.xml is a simple addition of an element... Don't really know how to handle this without breaking things
for Maven 2.0 when an artifact with this addition is deployed to a
repository.

If plugins can be changed, used with the existing versions of Maven
with no disruption then do it in-situ.
No problem here, no disruption, as proven by the test.
The only risk is that the property chosen, $ {project.build.sourceEncoding}, makes user think to a new element <project><build><sourceEncoding> in the pom, but we still don't know how we will implement it: we bet on a solution
we don't have currently.

Hervé

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

A man enjoys his work when he understands the whole and when he
is responsible for the quality of the whole

-- Christopher Alexander, A Pattern Language

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com